History of the Grauholz service area
Since its opening over forty years ago, the Grauholz motorway service station has been the meeting point on Switzerland’s most important motorway and has always welcomed motorists to the gates of Bern.
Over the decades, the company has always remained in the hands of the well-known gastronomic entrepreneurial families Haller, Hubler and Gerber, and so today the Grauholz is one of the last independent motorway service stations in Switzerland that is not part of a corporate group. It all began in 1975 with the small Grauholz Cafébars Nord and Süd. Since then, the company has grown steadily and new business areas have been added at regular intervals, for example the Hotel Grauholz or the Grauholz Märit. In order to meet the ever-growing needs of its customers, A1 Hotel Restaurant Grauholz AG is constantly investing in the infrastructure of its various businesses. In the course of the general renovation of the Grauholz service area by the canton of Bern, several major new and conversion projects have been implemented by A1 Hotel Restaurant Grauholz AG since 2013. In doing so, the company always pursues the goal of offering customers the most eventful, relaxing and unforgettable stay possible at the Grauholz service area and to fully meet the needs of today’s environment.
Milestones A1 Hotel Restaurant Grauholz AG
- 1975 Opening of Cafébar Süd and Grauholz Cafébar Nord
- 1976 Opening of Grauholz Restaurant Nord
- 1985 Opening of Grauholz Märit
- 1991 Extension of sun terrace and winter garden Grauholz Restaurant Nord
- 1997 Opening of Hotel Grauholz
- 2003 Opening of Grauholz Kiosk
- 2013 New building Grauholz Restaurant Süd
- 2014 New building Grauholz Cafébar Nord
- 2016 New opening of Grauholz Bistro Märit
- 2020 Conversion of Restaurant Süd – reopening with “Green Garden” concept
- 2020 Conversion of Restaurant Nord to temporary “Neon Jungle”
- 2022 Start of renovation work at the Grauholz Hotel